Furniture made from solid wood is a staple for more homes. Not only are they durable, but the beauty of this furniture is definitely classic and antique. You can match it with whatever design and style you have for your home. However, taking care of this wood might require a bit more effort. If ever you are an acacia furniture owner and would want to prolong the life of your investment by learning how to care for acacia wood outdoor furniture, then this article is for you.
What is Acacia Wood?
Acacia wood or monkey pod wood is commonly used for indoor and outdoor furniture such as kitchenware, tables, flooring, etc. Some species are also utilized for paper products. Acacia is famous for its durability and lastingness. A piece of well-cured acacia furniture will have beautiful brown coffee tones that give elegance and antiqueness to any household.
Acacia is often used to make different pieces of furniture due to its aesthetic and ability to last for a longer time, especially when given proper care. Additionally, how to care for acacia wood outdoor furniture can be easy, and various ways are guaranteed to help you maximize your acacia furniture.
Homeowners appreciate Acacia wood for its durability to last for decades and the density, scratch resistance, and surface hardness properties long after being processed and shaped. It’s also a sustainable product with over 1,300 different varieties making it universally accessible and eco-friendly. The complexity in grain patterns is second to none and can even give a lighter, natural material look than teak. However, Acacia wood does require a bit of maintenance, but with proper treatment, your furniture will keep its rich color throughout the seasons.
Tips on How to Care for Acacia Furniture
- Practice proper cleaning.
How to care for acacia wood outdoor furniture starts with proper cleaning. Wipe down your furniture often with a damp rag to eliminate dust and prevent dust accumulation. The routine attention to this breathing, living material will help preserve its integrity and eventually avoid drying or cracking.
- Use a gentle soap to clean.
Use products without silicone or ammonia products. These products contain properties that can create dryness in the wood that can eventually lead to cracking. A mild soap, warm water solution will keep your Acacia wood happy.
- Always wash and wipe down wet spots.
If your furniture is located next to the pool resulting in occasional chlorine-rich splashes, gently wash your furniture then wipe dry with a clean cloth. Also, set your furniture with enough distance from heat and avoid direct sunlight.
- Use a preservative product.
You can commonly find boiled linseed oil or tung oil in commercial goods as the base ingredient for oiling outdoor wood furniture for its natural drying properties. Acacia wood’s sensitivity to direct sunlight means that pigmented finishing oil is preferred over transparent, which will provide UV protection.
Other Care Instructions
- Non-detergent liquid soap is perfect when it comes to cleaning products for outdoor furniture. They do not include harmful chemicals that might cause your furniture to deteriorate easily. A mixture of water and white vinegar can help you remove tough stains, mold, and mildew.
- How to care for acacia wood outdoor furniture always begin with cleaning the exteriors using a soft brush or cloth. Then evaluate if further care and cleaning are necessary.
- Clean off your furniture as soon as possible when contaminated by bird droppings and Sunscreens. They can cause permanent damage and stains, which are too hard to get rid of. Corrosion is also another factor to consider and avoid.
- Try to cover your furniture when not in use for extended periods. Doing so can preserve your furniture longer and make maintenance easier, especially during the summer season. Breathable covers are the best choice since they prevent mold growth.
- Read the manual. Newly acquired acacia furniture will have cleaning and maintenance instructions. Following the directions properly is the key for your acacia furniture to stay in shape.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Acacia Wood Furniture
There are various advantages and disadvantages of Acacia wood furniture, some of which are mentioned below:
Acacia is known to be one of the most durable types of wood made, especially for long-term use. It is a long-lasting and robust hardwood that can withstand different elements for years to come. Another selling point is cost-effective. It is much cheaper compared to various exotic wood furniture available in the market today. Lastly, although solid, acacia wood is lighter. It is more light-weight compared to other hardwoods in the market.
Due to its great features, it does not come as a shock that Acacia is an expensive piece of furniture. It might be less costly than many exotic kinds of wood, but it is much expensive than other hardwoods. Acacia is also considered a limited resource. This type of wood only thrives in the natural habitats of Australia and Africa. One of its major setbacks is a bulge. Leaving it under the rain for a few days might cause bulging in the furniture.
Purchasing outdoor furniture is an investment to improve and enhance your living space. Once you’ve mastered how to care for acacia wood outdoor furniture, cleaning and maintenance will definitely be less hassle for you. Taking time to care for your furniture will protect your investment and always keep it in its best shape.
Caring for acacia wood furniture is relatively easy, but you surely need to give your time and effort to keep the acacia wood stunning. The tips given above will definitely help you heighten the longevity of your prized wood decor. Know more about wood furniture care.