How To Start Wood Carving: A Quick Guide
Are you looking for ways on how to start wood carving smartly? Then you have come to the right place! In this article, you will learn the basic steps on how to do wood carving.
Select the Best Type of Wood
To be able to know how to start wood carving, you should know that there are only a few of the best types of woods that you can use in this carving series. Generally, it’s preferable to use somehow softwood. This allows your work to be more efficient and convenient. A great type of wood will surely guarantee you a quality piece at the end of the process.
Tools You Must Use in Wood Carving
While it is important to consider the type of wood, it’s also essential to choose the tools you must use in carving. Tools are supposed to help you achieve your goal in an efficient way. Make sure to use sharp, fixed, and quality tools to guarantee excellent work as well as to avoid discomfort. How to start wood carving? Here is a list of tools you must use:
- Chip Carving Knife
- Utility Knife/Craft Knife
- Bent and Spoon Gouges
Practice Your Cuts
This hand carving wood for beginners’ method is the perfect one for you! It is probably one of the basic steps you must learn! It appears to be the major step you must take before reaching and working on your major piece of work. This step certainly allows you to be familiar with the woods and tools needed for wood carving.
This is where you learn how to hold the knives properly. One pro-tip you must remember when doing so is to hold the wood with your non-dominant hand, and use the other for holding the tools. Take note that in controlling the direction of the carving, you must use your wrist and not your elbows.
Finalize Your Piece
Finally, you are now ready to carve your masterpiece! You can follow these steps to a well-guided carving journey!
- Begin by using protective gear to secure safety measurements.
- When you have your woods and tools ready, you can sketch the layout you want to achieve.
- Clamp it onto the table or use any equipment that would probably help. This is to make sure that your wood is safe from any possible movements and distractions.
- Proceed by carving the basic shape of your design. This is to assure you that the actual form of your work is preserved and that your goal is achievable.
- Add wood preservation to keep your piece free from dirt and moisture.
You Earn What You Work for!
That is a job well done! Now that you have already read the basic and essential steps on how to start wood carving, you are ready to take on the action in this amazing wood carving journey! Soon after you realize how fun this is, you wouldn’t think of this as a job but as a wood carving hobby that you would love!