How To Remove Rust From A Hand Saw Blade: Home Remedies For Rust Removal
Your hand saw becomes rusty when it has been stuck for years or decades. Instead of removing the rust from your hand saw blades, you probably think that it is better to buy a new one. Some people opted to replace their hand saw when it is full of rust. It is not a great choice in some situations, especially if you are sentimental, and your hand saw is an antique.
There are several factors why it is still great to remove that rust from your old hand saw blade than buying a new one. One reason is when you know how good is your old hand saw, and it came from a trusted brand and manufacturer. You can avoid having a trash hand blade when you learn how to remove rust from a hand saw blade. You can restore your antique saw by following the easy steps below.
Steps on How to Remove Rust from a Hand Saw Blade
Most of your tools in your house are either came from your father or grandfather. In that case, it is really hard to let them go, even if they look terrible and useless. It is quite fun and exciting to learn how to remove rust from a hand saw blade. These are the easy and simple steps you can follow to restore your antique saw.
Prepare the things you will need
Prepare all the things you need to learn how to remove rust from a hand saw blade before you start. These are the thing you will need:
- Old rusty saw
- Baking soda
- Car battery charger
- Sacrificial iron, rod, old railroad spike, or anything that made of iron that you don’t need anymore
- Wood (optional)
- Chicago style screws (optional)
Remove the handle
The first step you need to do is remove the handle from the hand saw blade. It helps you have the freedom to work and remove rust from your old hand saw. You are also able to remove the rust on the part of the handle. After removing the handle, you can replace all the screws if you want.
Perform the electrolysis to remove the rust
This process on how to remove rust from a hand saw blade might look complicated as you can see the word ‘electrolysis,’ but in reality, it is very easy. All the things you need can easily found in your home. This homemade remedy to remove the rust can be used on all your metal tools and parts that need rust removal. Before you start, ensure a safe workplace. The area must be well-vented and away from open flames.
- Put warm water in the bucket.
- Add 1 tablespoon baking soda per gallon of water and then stir until it dissolved.
- Attach the sacrificial iron to the positive lead and put in the solution in the bucket. Remember that you should not put the clips in the solution as it will rust or be damaged.
- Put the rusted tool on the negative clip and soak in the solution. Note that you should not touch the negative-positive leads in the solution.
- Turn on the power. You can notice that the negative side where the rusty tool will start to fizz and make bubbles. The bubbles are the hydrogen gas escaping from the electrolytic reaction. While the negative charge ion from the rust will separate, and it will migrate to the positive side, depositing on the sacrificial iron. It will take around 30 to 24 hours, depending on the amount of rust and amps of electricity used.
- Use a wire brush to gently remove the remaining debris or stubborn rust and treat the blade with a rust inhibitor or oil.
Replace the handle
You can replace the handle of your hand saw by taking wood and trace the handle to be replaced. Cut the wood using a jigsaw or band saw and make the handle. Finish the handle by sanding it and applying a light Danish oil to preserve the wood.
I know that removing rust is quite challenging, and it needs a lot of work compared to buying a new one. It is important to take note of important things while you are learning how to remove rust from a hand saw blade. One is you should prepare the things you need beforehand. It is to avoid skipping important steps and preventing trouble while removing the rust from the saw. It would help if you also have a secured a working area that's safe, clean, and away from flammable materials. All the trouble, time, and effort is nothing when you value your things and see your hand saw shiny and rust-free. Find out more about hand saw blades.
December 2, 2020
By: Ryan Jenkins
While hand saws are simple tools used to cut through various materials, including wood, metal, and plastic, one of the biggest drawbacks of using a regular universal hand saw is that it commonly produces rough and rugged edges that are not attractive at all.
December 1, 2020
By: Adam Stevenson
Have you ever experienced when you are in the middle of doing your project, and then when you are about to cut something, you noticed that your saw is not sharp enough?