There are different ways to store and organize your tools. Some people make use of their stock room and put everything in there. Some put it in the garage, while others make a toolbox or storage box for their equipment. However, storing a metal tool in a closed container may result in rusting. That is why you need to learn how to hang a hand saw on the wall. This is one way to store a hand saw while letting it air out and keeping it dry to avoid rust.
Ways to Hang Hand Saw on the Wall
There are a few devices to use that can allow you to hang your tools on the wall. Once you learn how to hang a hand saw on the wall, you can easily set your requirements for safe and convenient storage of bladed tools.
Hand Saw Holder
One thing you can learn when you hang your tools on a wall is the use of a hand saw holder. This equipment can be purchased from any hardware or wood equipment store. But you can also make your own.
Materials you need:
- Two sheets of 12mm MDF
- Wood Glue
- Double-Sided tape
- Stand mounted Driller
- Door wedge
- Table mounted circular saw
- Cut the MDF into four strips with a measurement of 30mm wide and 360mm long.
- Using wood glue, paste the three strips in a stack. Then place the fourth strip at the bottom of the stack with double-sided tape.
- Once the glue is set and dry, you can drill a series of ¼-inch holes along the length of the block at 30mm centers. Set it at 10mm in from the face.
- The holes must be at a slight angle with 24mm deep. Make them consistent using a stand-mounted drill with a wedge tape to the base.
- Using a circular saw, cut a series of 25mm deep slots across the face of the block. It should intersect with the drilled holes near the bottom.
- You have to remove the bottom layer of the MDF. Pop a 6mm ball bearing into each drill hole and glued the detached layer into the stack, aligning the saw kerfs carefully.
- Cut another piece of 12mm MDF with 360mm wide and 540mm long.
- Use a router to mill a groove, which is 5mm deep and 48mm wide.
- Glue it into a slotted block.
- Use screws to hold the saw carrier in place to the wall.
Use a Peg Board
A pegboard is a rectangular piece of wood board with a series of holes. When you learn how to hang a hand saw on the wall, you will realize that the best way to store your bladed tools is by putting them up on the wall, and a pegboard can be very useful once you decide to do this method. This will make the area organize and, at the same time, increase your workspace, making the tools visible and easy to sort. You can use tool hangers or hooks to hold your hand saw on the board. Dedicate a part of the wall in your working area for the pegboard.
Here are the steps in installing the pegboard:
- Allow space between the pegboard and the wall. You will need to place furring strips or studs installed over the drywall. This is to easily attach the pegboard accessories.
- Layout your installation area. Start it from the lower part to its top height. Put horizontal blocking to hold the pegboard’s top and bottom edges.
- Cut a 2x1 wood strips for the perimeter edges and vertically at every stud.
- Install the furring strips into the wall using 3-inch screws. It should be horizontal across the bottom and top edges, and vertical at each stud.
- If you need to place electric switches and outlets, you must measure it to fix the location to the pegboard. Size the cut so the trim plate will cover the opening. Hold the pegboard up to test and see if it fits and make necessary adjustments to the overall size.
- Cut the pegboard to size base on the layout.
- Using a lathe screw, mount the pegboard to the furring strips or wall studs. Tighten the screw enough not to break the pegboard. Install the screw 12-inches on center vertically and at every furring strips horizontally.
- Once the pegboard is secure, you can now attach the tool hangers or hook into the board and test it by placing the saw. Use thick hooks or hanger for a heavier handsaw.
Use Wall Anchors for Hanger and Hook Nails
A wall anchors are also one of the devices to hold hand saw on the wall. There are different types of anchor walls, and each has different functions. Learning how to hang a hand saw on the wall will also allow you to understand how these anchors work. You can use the one with larger hooks or anchors to keep your hand saw securely hanging on the wall.
In installing an anchor screw, you need a hammer or a rubber mallet, a drill, and a screwdriver. Now, drill a hole smaller than the anchor to make it fit snugly inside the hole. Then brush or remove the dust from the area. Insert the screw or a hook in. Make sure it fits and secure enough to hold the hand saw without falling. Here’s how to learn more about hand saws.
One of the woodworkers’ great frustration is not having a convenient tool storage area, especially for those with thin blades like a saw. So, learning how to hang a hand saw on the wall can be a good solution. If you have a storage room, you can make one side for hanging the blades. There are pieces of equipment you can use to place them into the walls securely. You can either purchase or create your own saw holder or device. Do not mix bladed tools from the rest that don’t have blades, instead hang them on the wall to reduce clutter.