How To Hand Carve Wood Signs: Beginners Essentials
Are you trying out your hand on carving wood for the first time? A wood sign could be a perfect project for a beginner like you. More so, it makes a thoughtful gift or a souvenir for family and friends.
You’ll get carving in no time once you know the basics of how to hand carve wood signs.
Things You Need For A Carved Wood Sign Project
As a beginner, you should be well aware of the right materials and tools to make your wood signs. Before knowing the steps on how to hand carve wood signs, here are the basic things you need.
There are different types of wood that you can use for carved projects. Features to consider in choosing wood for your wood sign projects are density and longevity. Different types of wood also come in different colors and grain patterns.
Beginners often prefer softwood, such as pine, as it is easier to work on. Other types of wood suggested for beginners are basswood, aspen, butternut, and oak.
There is a variety of wood carving tools available in the market. As a beginner, it is important to have the necessary tools. You may start your first project using the following:
- Short-bladed knife
- Chisel with diagonal cutting edge
Consult your local woodworking shop for advice on tools you may use for different projects.
Steps On How To Hand Carve Wood Signs
You have picked the type of wood you want to work with, and you already have your tools. It’s time to learn the steps in creating your first project. Take note, make sure that the size of your wood is suitable for the size of your pattern or design. Also, be safe by wearing a pair of safety glasses.
- Decide on words or letter/s you want to carve on wood.
- Pick a font style and size. As a beginner, choose a simple font style.
- Using a computer program, type the words or letters in the font style and size you have picked.
- Print the word or letter/s. This will serve as your pattern.
- Put the printed pattern at the center of your wood board.
- Put a carbon paper between the wood board and the printed pattern.
- Tape the pattern on the wood.
- Trace the outline of each letter using a sharp carving knife.
- Before removing the cut-out letters, trace around inside each to mark stop cuts.
- Use a pencil to retrace the letters.
- Identify the center of each letter by drawing a line.
- Identify stop cuts along the centerlines.
- Carve from outside to the middle, developing a V shape.
- Work alternatively from both sides towards the center.
After carving out your pattern, you may opt for a natural look or decide to varnish your wood sign.
That’s how to hand carve woods signs for beginners. Do you think you’re ready? Do not worry. Little imperfections on wood signs are often unnoticed at an average viewing distance.
Your first project may be the start of many more! Keep in mind that developing a new skill takes a lot of practice. So be patient and resourceful.