How To Clean Grime Off Wood Furniture With Easy Steps
Wood furniture accumulates grime over time that are hard to remove with regular dusting. While frequent cleanings can help avoid this situation, the buildup will no longer become removable and require more robust solutions to break it loose. There are safe and practical steps that can cut through the dirt and help your pieces return to their original shine. Check out the following methods on how to clean grime off wood furniture.
Steps to Remove Dirt Buildup in Wooden Furniture
You may regularly dust and shine your wood furniture, but over time, those polishes that you use, combined with some dust, leave a dark film on your wood tables, chairs, and shelves. Missing to clean them regularly also causes dirt, buildup, and grime. Here are easy and effective and practical steps on how to clean grime off wood furniture:
- Microfiber cloths
- Clear dish soap
- Mineral spirits
- Furniture polish
Follow These Easy Steps:
- The first step on how to clean grime off wood furniture is using a barely damp microfiber cloth and wiping down your wood furniture to remove dust and dirt. Don't ever let water sit on the wood, and quickly wipe it down with another dry microfiber cloth. A quick wipe-down using a microfiber cloth will do the trick for regular dusting.
- If you notice that your wood furniture has any sticky residue spots, try to add a drop of dish soap in the microfiber cloth and test a tiny section of the table to ensure that the finish doesn't get removed or damaged. If the wooden surface is fine, combine a few drops of dish soap with a cup of water and gently work on that particular gummy section. Always remember to avoid soaking the wood in water. Once the spot is already clean, wipe the area dry using another microfiber cloth.
- If the grime is more extreme, you need to use mineral spirits to wipe it off completely. Do a test a small spot beforehand to make sure it won't remove the finish. Try to work in a well-ventilated area, apply a few mineral spirits to a clean cloth and rub down the sticky area. If that still doesn't do the trick, you might need refinishing the piece.
- You may need to apply wax for protection and maintenance, depending on your wood furniture. Using a cheesecloth, apply a semi-solid wax to your wood furniture. It would help if you let the wax paste sit on the wooden surface for a few minutes before buffing it using a clean microfiber cloth. Avoid using polish sprays because they can leave a residue. Follow those steps on how to clean grime off wood furniture, and you will be happy with the results.
Additional Tips and Ideas
There are essential tips to consider when cleaning any wooden furniture at home. As you learn how to clean grime off wood furniture, you must note the following considerations:
- When you use any cleaning solution, it is best to apply it to a small hidden area first to test for any effect on the finish.
- It is always best to clean the furniture in stages, starting with a mild cleanser that poses no risk to the finish's integrity. You can proceed to a more powerful solution only if the gentler one fails. In doing this, you can safely clean your wood furniture to avoid any unwanted damages.
- If you are cleaning an antique or a treasured collectible, check with a professional before cleaning. You have to make sure that the cleaning method you will be doing will not affect that particular piece's value.
- You must look for a popular wood cleaning product that is specially made for wood furniture. They are the ones that are safe to use on all non-wax finished wood pieces. It is readily available at most department stores or online markets. But then again, follow the manufacturer's instructions for the correct application.
- In the worst-case scenario, if you feel unsure about what to do and want to save your wood furniture at all costs, it is best to call a local furniture company to offer consultation and cleaning services.
- Always dust wood furniture with soft, lint-free cloths only. It is advisable to avoid feather dusters because they aren't as effective, and they sometimes have sharp quills that might scratch some wood surfaces.
Wood furniture is always appreciated because of its beauty, versatility, durability, and low maintenance. It survives on its own and requires little intervention. Whether due to some accident or normal wear and tear, or accumulated dirt through the years, you need to know how to clean wood furniture the right way, renew its appearance and ensure its longevity. It is worth knowing how to clean grime off wood furniture properly to keep your wood thing lustrous for years. Know more about wood furniture care.
December 7, 2020
By: Ryan Jenkins
Wood furniture is a nice addition to your house. It gives your house a naturistic feel about it because of how aesthetically pleasing it is to the eyes.
December 2, 2020
By: Adam Stevenson
Finding the best hatchet for splitting wood should be a breeze, but with autumn coming in fast, you need to ready and chop as much wood as possible to keep yourself and your family warm for winter.