Wooden pieces of furniture are classic and elegant. It makes your space more attractive and makes your home look clean and organize. Most of the furniture at home can be made of wood, and it will always turn out to be perfect. However, these pieces of wood furniture can be infected with insects and fungus. When you love equipment made of wood, you should learn how to avoid fungus on wooden furniture to keep them from being destroyed.
Causes of Fungus on Wood Furniture
Before you can learn how to avoid fungus on wooden furniture, you must know the cause and why it occurs. The mold spores or fungus are present in the air. They could settle anywhere on the surfaces if there is enough moisture. When your area has high humidity, you can easily see molds or fungus on wood furniture.
Here are some of the reasons why fungus grew on wood furniture:
- The furniture is at the area that is too close to a poorly insulated exterior wall.
- There is excess humidity.
- Elevated Humidity
Removing Fungus on Wood Furniture
Learning how to avoid fungus on wooden furniture is not difficult. Once you have enough knowledge about fungus and how they multiply on wooden fixtures, you can apply the specific techniques and ways to avoid it. But how about when the fungus is actually on the furniture? This time, you have to remove them from the wood furniture.
What You Need
- Bleach Mixture
The bleach mixture will be used to disinfect and kill the fungus growing on the fixture. One gallon of water should be mixed with ½ cup of bleach. This is enough to keep the fungus away and prevent it from growing again. You must not use bleach or detergent soap with ammonia as it can be very harmful, and it creates toxic vapor.
You need a gallon of water for this to mix with the bleach.
- Hand gloves
Since you will be using a bleach mixture, you need to wear gloves to prevent your skin from harm. The bleach might create an allergic reaction and hurt your skin.
- Mask and Long Sleeves shirt
Fungus, if removed from the furniture, will mix with the air. To prevent you from directly inhaling them, you have to cover your nose and mouth. Together with it, you should open your windows for proper ventilation. You have to wear a long-sleeved shirt to prevent any allergic reactions.
- Piece of Cloth or Rough Sponge
You need a piece of cloth to apply the bleach mixture into the wood, or you can also use a sponge.
- Put on your gloves and long sleeve shirt. Take the infected furniture outside your house to ensure the particles will not spread, especially if your floor is carpeted. If it is too heavy to move outside, you can do it inside your home but you have to cover the floor area with cellophane or newspapers if carpeted. If not, you can just sweep it later.
- Submerge or soak the piece of clothes on the bleach mixture. Once you have positioned the fixture, you can wipe the fungus away using the sponge or cloth soaked in the mix.
- If the fungus is completely removed, get another clean sponge or piece of cloth. Get another mixture of bleach and water. Do one more round of wiping to make sure you remove everything from the fixture.
- Let it dry under the sun or in a well-ventilated shaded area if your furniture has color or bad weather.
Keep the Fungus from Coming Back
When you have cleaned your wood fixtures and remove all the fungus from it, you have to make sure there are no more molds or fungus. Examine the wood very carefully. If it’s already clear, you can bring the fixture back to where it was. Make sure to wipe the walls or floor first before putting it back.
If you live in a warm climate and use an AC to keep the room or house cold, you need to make sure the items or the furniture are dry. If positioned next to the wall, pull it a little bit to allow some air and keep it ventilated. You also need to dust and regularly disinfect, especially after the cold season or winter. When you are to repaint the furniture, look for product paint designed to help prevent or resist molds and fungus. Now that you know how to avoid fungus on wooden furniture, you’re more confident that your precious furniture can last a long time in the family’s heirloom collection.
Seeing fungus on your furniture is very disturbing, and removing it can be very frustrating. But if you learn how to avoid fungus on wooden furniture, you will be able to get rid of it. You can also set your room environment to a certain temperature to prevent molds from accumulating or housing into your wood furniture. Know more about wood furniture care.