How Do You Remove Stickers From Wood Furniture?
In whatever surface they are on, stickers are difficult to remove or peel off and can make something so polished, like your wooden furniture, ugly. Even more worrisome is that the adhesives can ruin the finish of your piece. It can be troublesome if you find multiple stickers stuck on your favorite chair or vanity table—the culprit? Probably your kids. Yet there’s no need for you to fret as there are multiple ways in removing stickers from the furniture. And how do you remove stickers from wood furniture, you ask? Well, read on and find out!
Preparing Your Items
Of course, regardless of what sticker removal technique you will choose, you will need items that can help you remove them from the furniture without harming its wooden finish. Before we answer the question: “How do you remove stickers from wood furniture?” you have to prepare a few of these things:
- Paper towels
- Rubbing alcohol
- White vinegar
- Wood polish
Removing Stickers from Wood Furniture
So, it is time to answer this question: “How do you remove stickers from wood furniture?” There are various but simple ways to get rid of stickers without harming your wooden furniture—the most important consideration to remember: Your wooden furniture must remain intact and polished. Check out some of the ways that can surely remove stickers and its residue from wood.
Removing with White Vinegar
This first step is one of the simplest ways of removing stickers from wood. All you need is a paper towel and white vinegar! Here is a simple guide in removing stickers:
- Get a paper towel or rag and place it over the surface with the stickers.
- Soak the paper towel or rag with white vinegar.
- Let the soaked paper towel or rag sit over the stickers for five minutes. Make sure that the stickers absorb the vinegar.
- Gently peel the sticker off the wooden surface using your fingernails. If there are remaining residue, repeat the process—soak, sit, and peel.
- Once done, you can wipe the wooden surface with wood polish.
Removing with Blow-dryer
Another simple way of removing stickers on wooden furniture is just using a blow-dryer. What you need to do is this:
- Get a blow-dryer or a hairdryer. Turn it on in a low heat setting.
- This optional step is for wooden furniture with no varnish—Soak the stickers with some rubbing alcohol. Just be careful, because alcohol can remove the varnish from wooden surfaces and create an ugly looking pale blotch on your piece.
- Aim the blow-dryer to the stickers on the furniture, at least two to three inches above the surface. The heat will loosen the adhesives behind the sticker. Keep the stickers heated for at least 15 seconds to thirty seconds.
- Start peeling the stickers off gently from the wooden surface using your fingernails.
- You can heat the corners first of the sticker for large stickers, pull it up, and then continue with the other section of the sticker to remove it completely.
- Repeat heating the stickers with the blow-dryer if there are still residues remaining.
- Once stickers are completely gone, you can apply wood polish on the surface.
Removing with Iron
The principle of this last step is the same as the blow-dryer—heat. With enough heat, the adhesive part of your sticker will loosen up and help you peel it off easily without leaving any sticky residue. You can do this step for big flat wooden surfaces, like bedframes or sides of antique dressers. The steps you need to do are the following:
- Using a rag, soak it in water and apply it on the surface with the stickers you wish to remove. Let it sit there for five minutes.
- Iron the wet rag. Be careful with the steam.
- Remove the rag and start peeling off the stickers.
- Repeat the process if there are sticky residues.
- Keep on ironing with the rag on the surface and peel off the sticky residue.
- Once stickers are gone, apply wood polish.
We have finally answered the question: "How do you remove stickers from wood furniture?" with those three simple and easy steps!
Other Tips and Hacks
So, what if you have removed the stickers already using the mentioned steps, but there are still stubborn sticky residues that sit on your furniture? Well, there are other effective tips and hacks on removing sticky residues from wooden surfaces. You can use:
This hack works on most surfaces. You can even use the ones on your pencils. The rubber surface will effectively roll the sticky residue away!
Surprisingly, peanut butter works on removing sticky residue for wooden or glass surfaces. Just dab this on the residue area, let it sit for a while, then use a clean rag to wipe it all off.
Olive or canola oil can work in removing sticky residues. Put one to two drops of canola oil on a clean cloth, rub it on the wooden surface, and then wipe the residue away. Know more about wood furniture care.
Now you know the answers to the question: "How do you remove stickers from wood furniture?" Surprisingly simple, right? So, you can now sit at ease even when your kids accidentally place stickers on your beloved furniture pieces. All you need are water, vinegar, or a blow-dryer to remove them. Make sure to remember the different ways safely and gently remove them and always repeat the process if you are not satisfied. Just be careful in using harsh materials on your furniture—like rubbing alcohol. With this information, you can easily get rid of stubborn stickers and their sticky residue in no time!
April 8, 2021
By: Albert Fisk
Some people like the smell of old and new wooden furniture. But, some people loathe it. If you’re looking for ways to remedy this, I will be giving you instructions on how to remove odor from wood furniture.
April 7, 2021
By: Adam Stevenson
It is painful to see stains on your favorite wooden furniture, especially if it is expensive or limited edition. You might think that you have to bring it to the furniture shop to remove stains, without knowing that you can perform it yourself.